And on the 11th night, there was no waking.

Well, well, well.

I wasn’t sure I’d ever see the day that this happened, but it finally has.

Lord Emperor Toddler, age 20-1/2 months, has SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT! Indeed, five out of the last six nights, he has slept all the way from bedtime (8:30-ish) until 7 or 7:30 in the morning. Occasionally he will cry out for a minute or two, but I can tell by how the cries sound that he’s not actually awake. He quiets down after a minute or two and settles back to sleep.

This happened eleven days after we began the process of weaning him from the first of his two night feedings. We always gave him his second bottle when he woke up for it. I guess he just decided that it wasn’t worth waking up for it anymore. Who knows what went through his little brain, consciously or subconsciously. Maybe he realized that he felt better when he got a long stretch of sleep, and he began to get comfortable knowing that daddy always comes in first thing in the morning with a cup of milk and some banana slices and cereal, so he won’t be hungry.

We had been looking forward to this day for such a long time, with such longing and anticipation, and it even became a running joke between Doc and I (“I know we said this last night, but tonight is actually the night he’s going to sleep through the night.”). Eventually there came a point when I internally gave up thinking/wishing/pining for a full night’s sleep for both he and I, because it never ever happened, and I had learned to get by pretty well with the routine we were in.

And when it happened, I was way less excited than I ever thought I’d be. Angels did not sing, golden light did not shine from above, I did not spring forth from my bed fully rested and ready to take on the world. Which was TOTALLY not the reaction I was expecting from myself.

I guess the potential excitement of that moment had been dulled by months of … well, drudgery is not the right word, but just months of a 2x/night waking schedule with no real signs of Jamie changing it up on his own. And of course, we had to be 100% certain that he would be getting all the nutrition he needs during his waking hours before we pulled the ripcord on the night feedings, so we chose to let it continue for a very long time, WAY longer than I think most people would. But I honestly don’t think that any of us would have been successful with this process even a few months ago.

As I am constantly reminded… every kid is different.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *