Jamieson, part 2

Well. This has been QUITE a week.

Have I mentioned that the weather turned nice and cold? We even had a dusting of snow one evening. Mom is still here, helping us immensely. The governor of Illinois tried to sell President-elect Obama’s Senate seat. I believe that the earth has continued to spin on its axis.

Oh, also, I had a baby.

Wait, what? You want to hear more about THAT? 🙂

OK then. I’ve been typing this here and there over a couple of days because, well, I’m finding it is usually more tempting to sleep than to get on my computer most of the time. Right now, for instance, I’m typing with a baby asleep on my chest. If he wakes up I’ll need to put this off once again, but I’m trying to write as fast as I can because I am rapidly forgetting details. 

So, on Sunday night (December 7) I didn’t eat any dinner. I just wasn’t feeling all that well. I went to bed early and woke up again about 1:30 in the morning with a contraction painful enough to pull me out of sleep. That was the first one that had ever done that. I wasn’t able to get back to sleep for several hours because the contractions kept coming every 20-30 minutes and I was wondering, is this it? Eventually I made an effort to sleep through the pain because I knew if this WAS the beginning of labor, I would need my strength later on.

We got up in the morning and went in for my 41-week OB appointment with the same doctor that I saw last week. He seemed much less rushed than last week and took more time with me, so I felt a lot better about him this time around. I told him I’d been having contractions since early morning. He checked my cervix — 2-1/2 centimeters dilated this time. I asked if I could possibly be in early labor; he said not likely. I still had a ways to go before getting there.

Because I was at 41 weeks he sent me for an ultrasound to check a few things, and unfortunately there was not enough amniotic fluid left in my uterus. It also showed some particulate matter in the fluid, and he was concerned that it might be meconium, in which case the baby would likely be in some measure of distress.

So he gave us a choice. Either go home, drink fluids all day ‘like a son of a gun,” and come back in the morning for another ultrasound to see if my amniotic fluid had replenished, or head to the hospital today for induction. He said that option A was probably not going to work, and waiting even a day if it didn’t work could be risky for the baby.

This was really a no-brainer decision for me and Doc. We had our birth plan laid out in advance, which directed for no induction unless medically necessary. But if there was ever a medically necessary reason, this was it. That birth plan was for us and our particular ideals, but the minute anything I was hoping to accomplish might negatively affect our baby, then the decision was easy. Baby’s health wins out every time.

We drove across the street to the hospital, got checked in and into a labor room, and called my mom and Kathryn to let them know what was going on.

More to come…

1 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *